I have seen this image before - tiny on a page of a past history textbook. Thanks for colourizing it! I'm sitting here with my yummy coffee and job that is good where that image was taken. ...
This image with the title of "Hooverville, Seattle 1937 - One of many shanty towns that sprang up across the USA during the Hoover years of the Great Depression" is one of a large collection of pictures from the category Colorized History . We collect quality images, from a social network website reddit.com
Source: To view the original source also read the full comments of the original poster as well as from other redditor, you can click on the following Link.
Some random comments on reddit about Hooverville, Seattle 1937 - One of many shanty towns that sprang up across the USA during the Hoover years of the Great Depression
- I've seen this picture before - small on a page of a history textbook. Thanks for colourizing it!
- I'm sitting here with my yummy coffee and good job almost exactly where that picture was taken. The morning feels...
- Can you link to a streetview? Would be a cool comparison.
- Pretty close to here . Mostly industrial area.
- Has anyone else played World In Conflict ? This picture is extremely familiar.
- I love world in conflict, the picture brings back memories.
- Yeah, I could imagine a bunch of civilians running on that highway while American tanks and soldiers are desperately holding the Russians coming from the harbor. While paratrooper endlessly falling in the background.
- Thanks for that. I love before & afters/nows when it comes to modern cities.
- Well you have to admit that for the materials they had to find to make their houses at least they look sturdy, and that's what counts. Did they manage to keep animals, like chickens and pigs? That would have been cool.
- Well this is pretty emotional. My grandfather lived here.
- Any stories about it?
- I wish I had some with me. I'm going to see if I can dig up his memoirs. They lived there quite a bit. Ended up building ships for the wars there in Bremerton.
- If you do find them, would you post them? I find that period of history fascinating. Did he still live in a hooverville even whilst building ships?
- What sort of ships?
- Love the Smith tower in the background
- I instantly recognized it from playing Sim City.
- Bet those were cold in the winter. Read more comments