The cane is element of the educational college uniform? Exactly what the hell... That could never ever work now. The cane would be probably used as a weapon. We think you have misunderstood. The cane is important ...
This image with the title of ""Toffs and Toughs" - The famous photo by Jimmy Sime that illustrates the class divide in pre-war Britain, 1937 - [1280x931]" is one of a large collection of pictures from the category History . We collect quality images, from a social network website reddit.com
Source: To view the original source also read the full comments of the original poster as well as from other redditor, you can click on the following Link.
Some random comments on reddit about "Toffs and Toughs" - The famous photo by Jimmy Sime that illustrates the class divide in pre-war Britain, 1937 - [1280x931]
- The cane is part of the school uniform? What the hell...
- That would never work now. The cane would be most likely used as a weapon.
- I think you've misunderstood. The cane is essential to the uniform precisely because somebody needs to show the toughs what's what.
- Like a horse whip in earlier times.
- I think it was meant to be a weapon back then too. To thrash insolent peasants with.
- Swing from the hips and put your weight into it, Phillip, you hardly knocked any of that vagrant's teeth out.
- There are actually 'proto-martial arts' from that period and earlier that used walking sticks in their arsenal. Techniques included things like using an opponents jacket, waistcoat, bowler hat etc against them.
- Why would the martial arts be "proto" ? Martial arts have been around since 3400 BC
- Poor wording sorry - didn't meant Kung Fu etc. More the 19th c Western practice of 'martial arts' - hybrids of pugilism and stuff like this: http://touch.artofmanliness.com/all/2009-01-05-bartitsu-gentlemen
- I recall them mentioning in Harry Potter that they were part of Dudley's uniform and specifically for whacking each other when the teacher wasn't looking.
- Good ol' Smeltings Read more comments