It's amazing this ended up being done before antibiotics were around. Would the exact same feats sans antibiotics be today that is possible have the microbes become more virulent in accordance with energy of the resistant ...
This image with the title of "The first plastic surgery in the world, Kent, 1917 [1024 x 615]" is one of a large collection of pictures from the category History . We collect quality images, from a social network website reddit.com
Source: To view the original source also read the full comments of the original poster as well as from other redditor, you can click on the following Link.
Some random comments on reddit about The first plastic surgery in the world, Kent, 1917 [1024 x 615]
- It's amazing this was done before antibiotics were around.
- Would the same feats sans antibiotics be possible today or have the microbes become more virulent relative to strength of the immune system?
- I'm not sure, and don't know the details, but I'd be willing to bet that Harold Gillies lost a number of people to infection, and that this sort of thing could only be performed on people that were deemed relatively low risk.
- In fact, antibiotic resistant bacteria are often weaker than" normal" bacteria.
- You got a source on that?
- http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1369527406001214 studies have demonstrated that antibiotic resistance, whether caused by target alteration or by other mechanisms, generally confers a reduction in fitness expressed as reduced growth, virulence or transmission
- Great! Super interesting, thanks for sharing.
- Theoretically yes if energy is being put into resistance, then less energy would be available for virulence. But in reality I would argue that aggressiveness is not always worse than hardiness. In the hospital setting a mrsa or a multi drug resistant pseudomonas are the scariest infections because they stick around and can lead to serious complications
- Thanks for the details, that's really interesting. Do you think this has much impact on the ability for a bug to colonize? VRE in the colon or MRSA in the nares, for example.
- Are the immune systems of present day USA urban dwellers less robust than they were in 1917?
- A so called super bug is only super in an environment rich on anti biotics. They are otherwise inferior to the original bugs. They are really only a threat to people that need antibiotics. If you take away antibiotics the super bugs are outcompeted and quickly disappear.
- wartime medical advancement pushing forward the field of medicine in weird and wonderful ways. Not just medicine. All the sciences have made large advances during wartime. They say necessity is the mother of all invention, and to not die in war is one of the most motivating necessities.
- Do your pedicles hang low? Do they wobble to and fro? Can you tie them in a knot? Can you tie them in a bow? Can you toss them over your shoulder, like a regimental soldier? Do your pedicles hang low?
- Question 1- NO; Question 2- NO; Question 3- NO; Question 4- NO; Question 5- NO; and Question 6- NO(Also a repeat question)
- If you didn't realise, this was a joke about the song "do your ears hang low?".
- If you didn't realize I actually answered your riddle
- So the skin goggles he's got on, are those connected to his back or chest? Read more comments