The series that is only have seen start to end countless times and I never get bored of it. (I am not btw that is american It is perhaps not as epic in identical way, but i believe you may enjoy Generation Kill if ...
This image with the title of "Major Richard Winters, Captain Lewis Nixon, and other officers of Easy Company (portrayed in HBO's Band of Brothers) celebrate V-E day in Hitler's private residence, Berchtesgaden, in the Bavarian Alps. May 8, 1945" is one of a large collection of pictures from the category Colorized History . We collect quality images, from a social network website reddit.com
Source: To view the original source also read the full comments of the original poster as well as from other redditor, you can click on the following Link.
Some random comments on reddit about Major Richard Winters, Captain Lewis Nixon, and other officers of Easy Company (portrayed in HBO's Band of Brothers) celebrate V-E day in Hitler's private residence, Berchtesgaden, in the Bavarian Alps. May 8, 1945
- The only series I have seen start to end countless times and I never get bored of it. (I am not American btw)
- It's not as epic in the same way, but I think you might enjoy Generation Kill if you haven't seen it. It has quite a few similar themes. Command has some good people in it and a lot of idiots. You regularly entrust your life to people who you wouldn't want to date your sister (and they pull through every time) Inordinate amounts of coarse swearing Minimal-to-no PC bullshit "How the fack did we survive that?!" "There might be enemies in the area holy hsit that's a lot of guys " etc. The book expands on it a bit more. I quite genuinely liked it.
- Alexander Skarsgard is so good in Generation Kill, particularly his relationship with Ray. There's a cool scene where "Fruity Rudy" trains by running amazingly fast while wearing a gas mask and a backpack full of rocks, establishing that he is a badass among badasses. That's not bullshit. That character is the actual Fruity Rudy, who was also a technical adviser.
- GK, and his role in it, really made me start following his career and movies. Was happy to see him get a starting role in Tarzan
- Godfather is the man.
- Godfather is quite the complex person. Apparently he was the commander of a parade unit prior to this. You know, the guys who dress up all nice and walk around in formation? Yeah. Somehow he ended up in charge of First Recon Marines. He also chased glory a little bit and occasionally gave stupid orders. But he was never egregiously incompetent or glory-seeking to the level of some of the commanders Easy had to deal with.
- IIRC, the book explains that Godfather was given command of First Recon because of his throat cancer. Some friends wanted to give him a good sort of command to end on or something like that. It's been years since I read the book, so take that with a cube of salt. EDIT: Something else I remembered while doing laundry is that the officers of the First Recon Marines did not typically operate in the field. The First Recon would deploy in small squads, about the same size as the squads in the humvees, by parachute, foot, or other means then do stealthy patrols to gather intelligence ahead of the main army. The reason the First Recon Marines were put in thin-skinned humvees and made to do direct assaults is that it was widely known that the recon marines would be ahead of the US attack. The leadership decided to take advantage of this by taking a typically stealthy unit and making them draw attention to themselves and move very rapidly in directions that weren't towards the main objective. The idea being that it would mislead the Iraqi army and result in lighter fighting for the true objective. The side effect of this strategy was that officers who normally sat at a desk and managed paperwork and logistics were now in the field. Some of these officers were not good in the field while others excelled in their roles.
- Ehh godfather seemed like he was also chasing for some medals if you read the books. A few times sending first recon into a place where they had their uss hanging in the breeze because he wanted to look good. Like assaulting an airfield with Humvees.
- To be fair, a common theme was that humvee platoons of recon marines were an insane choice for the AO in general.
- Yes it was insane. But it was just compounded by assaulting that airfield where they had little to no recon on it. There could've been tanks and they would've just rolled up to it in Humvees. That's a new level of dumb.
- But it was also pretty fackin ninja . But yeah, totally dumb. Read more comments